About us

Reclaim. Rehabilitate. Repurpose.

Atascadero Printery Foundation

The Atascadero Printery Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to the rehabilitation of the historic Printery building. The Foundation has reclaimed the property from abandonment and seeks restore the building to its previous grandeur while dedicating its use to projects that would benefit the community.

Since being severely damaged during the 2003 San Simeon Earthquake, the Printery stood empty, and been subject to regular vandalism. The Atascadero Printery Foundation purchased the building in May 2017 in order to stem decline and revitalize this historic site in the heart of Atascadero.

This beautiful landmark will be made available for many uses with an emphasis on Arts, Education, and History. Plans include a comfortable theater space for live productions and musical events, museum-type displays featuring the history of Atascadero and the Printery Building, event and conference spaces, outdoor activity space, and indoor office and meeting spaces, with priority consideration for nonprofit use.

 

Printery History

Built in 1915, the Atascadero Printery was the first Atascadero Colony building constructed by E. G. Lewis. The Printery published a number of important publications including The Woman’s National Weekly, The Illustrated Review, covers for Sunset Magazine, and the Sunday supplement of the San Francisco Chronicle and Los Angeles Times. The first issue of the Atascadero News was published at the Printery in 1916 and continued to be printed there until 1949.

The Printery has served many uses over the years. The Printery was home to three different boys’ schools and was used by the National Youth Administration, where Jackie Robinson was an assistant athletic director. Additionally, it served as the Masonic Lodge, San Luis Obispo Sheriff’s Substation, and Atascadero Unified School District office. In 2004, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significant association with the early history of Atascadero and E. G. Lewis’s Atascadero Colony.

Atascadero Printery Foundation

Board of Directors

President: Karen McNamara

Vice President: Judi Scott-Dewing

Treasurer: Gina Cirocco

Secretary: Christine Moser

Board Members:
Barbie Butz, Jim Dewing, Rick Evans, Red Heesch,
Catherine Hillman, Kent Kenney, Nicholas Mattson, Greg Ravatt, Jayne Sacks

Share This